‘The Paul Street Boys’ – smartphone guided city walking tour
The interactive guided walk entitled "In the footsteps of the Paul Street boys" is based on Ferenc Molnár's novel, which is one of the best-known Hungarian literary works. It has been published more than 80 times and has been translated into numerous languages. The story of Boka, Nemecsek and the other boys can be read in almost every European country, but it is available in several states in Asia, America, and Africa, as well.
The interactive walk featured by the smartphone app GUIDE@HAND Budapest guides you to 13 important venues of the novel. Upon the introduction of the sights, in addition to short architectural descriptions, you can hear selected parts from the novel, together with complementary music evoking the atmosphere of the time. Archive photos compiled for each location and scenes from the 1969 feature film directed by Zoltán Fábri, make the tour even more amusing.
Meeting point: Garden of the Hungarian National Museum, next to the statue of János Arany, 1088 Budapest, Múzeum krt. 14-16.
Date of the tour: July 7th 2023 (Friday), 3 p.m.
Attendance is free of charge for participants of LIBER 2023 conference, but prior registration and confirmation are required. Link for registration:
Registration ends at July 5th, 2023, at 16:00 hours.
Guides of the tour: Mr. Zsolt WEISZ (Institute for Computer Science and Control) and Mr. Ambrus GÖNCZI (Ferencváros Local History Museum).
- The walk is to be found among the „thematic walks” of the GUIDE@HAND Budapest smartphone application, which can be downloaded for free from
Apple Store or Google Play. The walk must be downloaded before start.
- The use of GPS must be authorised for the app.
- Duration of the tour is approximately 1,5-2 hours.
- No internet connection is needed during the tour if the interactive walk was successfully downloaded in advance.
- Due to the urban environment, the use of earphones or headset is recommended.
- Comfortable dress and footwear are also suggested.
The interactive walk “In the footsteps of the Paul Street boys” is a joint project of the Institute for Computer Science and Control, and the Ferencváros Local History Museum.
The tour is part of the Budapest 150 – Book Capital 2023 programme.
Text and Pictures: Institute for Computer Science and Control